Saturday, November 23, 2013

My Blues Book

Blue.  I've slowly discovered that my new favorite color is blue.  A deep royal blue.  As I sit here, I can see my new royal blue sweatshirt on the ground next to me, my turquoise blue bath towel, my blue glass coffee mug, (fun fact: my future kitchen shall be decorated in blue glass and white ceramic) and I can see my black and blue ribbon board, with my blue Jack Frost bow, my blue "Kiss the Girl" mini bow, the blue on my Flounder mini, my blue plastic bowl, fork and spoon I used to eat ramen for lunch today, my blue pen, my blue plaid headband..you get the idea.

But not only that, but I've been feeling kind of blue the last few days.

So a few weeks ago, I received a compliment that really made my day.  Then I got to thinking...what about all those days that I really need a pick-me-up and don't get one?  What can I do to pull myself out of the doldrums on those hard days?

Since coming to college, things have gotten insane.  Papers are due, applications to fill out, the freshman fifteen to avoid...and there are days I just want my mommy to hug me. College is hard.  It's a good hard, but there are still times I feel like giving up.

That's when I came up with the idea for a blues book.  You know these little things?

They're kind of useless, but you still buy them because they're frickin' adorable. Well, I bought a set.  I used one for my packing list (literally almost used up the whole book, but that was because after the 14 pages I used for the actually list, I used several more, writing one letter on each page that spelled out "I HATE PACKING!" so that I could use it as a flip book...yeah).  I started a food diary in another, but quickly gave up on it.  The third was pink, and my sister wanted it, so I gave it to her.
Anyway, I ripped the two pages of food diary in the first one out and gave this little notebook a makeover:

 
I just covered an old notebook with blue duct tape, even made a little blue duct tape bow for decoration.  But what is this cute little book for?

The title page will tell you (my hand is covering the "Property of: My Name" part)

"For use in case of depression, the blues, the doldrums, ect."
A Collection of Pick-Me-Ups and Compliments


       
Some examples of the first entries into my Blues Book. My hope is that the next time I'm feeling down and like no one in the world cares about me, I'll have something to prove me wrong.  I hope to fill it up with nice things people have said about me.

I also hope that this will catch on.  It doesn't have to be a little notebook like this.  You could buy a little journal or even use a regular sized notebook.  However, the little notebooks will fill up faster, so it'll appear like you have more.

Anyhow, that's it for now.  Keep writing and don't be blue. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment