Sunday, July 22, 2012

What happens when you write about a blind girl...

Now, since I've been thinking about Beauty is Blind a lot, I find myself not turning on the lights when I go to the bathroom or enter my room.  Or I close my eyes when I'm at home and walk around.  Just to get into Calista's shoes.

We just got back from a road trip to my grandma's cabin- so first stop is by defult, the bathroom.  So yeah...there I am in a dark bathroom, with the door closed and peeing, and my poor brother's so confused because he hears someone in there...but the light's off!

Ah, the dangers of writing first person stories from a blind girl's point of view.

I'm going to try to do Camp NaNoWriMo again- I realized that I have been doing the work of 3 and the fact that I made it almost half way's a big achievement.  At least for a musical.

Need to apply for colleges (St. Ben's, Concordia, and Coe) *groan*
Need to find a job. *groan*

But I took senior pictures this weekend- they turned out pretty good- will be posting them soon.

Umm, have had a lot of weird moments with Calista lately.  Writers, do you ever feel like your characters are talking to you?  Like, literally?

Once, you may remember this because I blogged about it, I was working on a scene where Calista was locked in a cellar and had just come to and was trying to figure stuff out.  Then it started raining and I got the idea for Storm Children (Ciro, Elysia, Ferren, and Rain) So I abandoned poor Calista in Julian's cellar and worked with Rain and the gang for a while, nurturing a new story.
The next night, I went back to Beauty is Blind and Calista was none too happy with me for leaving her locked in a cellar.  I could've sworn the conversation went like this: (all in my crazy little mind)
Me: Hey, Calista, I'm back.
Calista: It's about time!
Me: What?  What did I do?
Calista: You left me locked in cellar, that's what! (she continues to rant and rave for a while)
Me: (thinking) maybe I should let you get angry more often...

And this morning, I'm trying to pay attention in church and the climax scene is stuck in my head.  It involves Calista accidentally falling into a body of water.  (She's terrified of water- she almost drowned in a watering hole when she was little, but Aurelia saved her.  She's been deathly afraid of it ever since.  There's water separating her from Damien in the climax) Anyway, she takes a step, (this is all slow-mo in my head) Briony tries to warn her, but it's too late.  Calista goes splashing in the water, confusion all around.  She panics...

I try to pay attention to church... but then I think of what happened the last time I left Calista in a precarious position... so I resolve to finish the scene... but I can't.  Yeah.  I think I tried to apologize to her.  Called her Callie, and she wasn't too fond of that nickname.  Yeah.

((okay, done being insane))

And my brother (Lee) put his shirt in the freezer before he left.  He's now wearing it.  Weirdo.

gotta go.  bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment